I’ve been a little out of touch lately. I have a lot going on in my personal life. Other responsibilities have required my attention, but adoption is forever at the back of my mind. I’ve had a little time to actually do some research. Research I should have done 3 years ago by the way.
As I’ve written previously, I encouraged my daughter to go to the local Pregnancy Resource Center. I’ve also explained that I had no idea how they operated. Through my recent searches I’ve gained a little more insight into their organization. As a lot of other “crisis pregnancy centers”, they operate under umbrella organizations. I found the following information at Prolife OBGYNS:
“Pregnancy Resource Centers (Crisis Pregnancy Centers) have been called the kind, calm, nonjudgmental face of the pro-life movement. Free pregnancy tests, ultrasounds, STI screening, abortion information, parenting classes, and material assistance are just some of the many services offered that empower women to choose life. These ministry centers offer hope to women facing unplanned pregnancies by providing practical help and emotional support. They provide life-saving help in a truly life-changing way by assisting women who are at risk for abortion with the life-affirming, practical support they need to choose life, then prepare them to parent or to place for adoption.
There are 2300 Pregnancy Resource Centers in North America, where only 3% of the worldâ€™s 46 million yearly induced abortions occur. Only 600 such ministries exist in the rest of the world, where 97% of the induced abortions are done.
In the years since Roe vs Wade, 4 major umbrella organizations have developed, (as well as several other smaller organizations). These groups network with 2300 separate Centers in the US and Canada, and 600 Centers in other countries. Heartbeat International (originally Alternatives to Abortion) began in 1971, and is focused on establishing Centers in North America and Internationally. CareNet had itâ€™s beginnings in 1975 (as Christian Action Council) and seeks to promote, prepare, and plant pregnancy centers across North America. In 1993, NIFLA was founded to provide legal advice and consultation to Centers, and was the leader in promoting medical and ultrasound education and services in the Centers. In the mid 90â€™s, Focus on the Family began providing educational resources, and later on pushed for the acquisition of Ultra-Sound units for the Centers. In 2001, Life International was founded with the focus of establishing Centers in every country where induced abortions are done.”
The egregious lies these centers have told have been documented in the following report:
The report is mainly focused on the misleading and false information about abortions that has been spread by Pregnancy Resource Centers. For example that an abortion can destroy your chances of ever having children again, or “post-abortion syndrome”. None of this is true.
So, if they have no problem spouting these lies to women, and they are not reprimanded, imagine what they can say to convince women to give up their children to adoption. I found the following report at the Heartbeat International website(not to be confused with the organization that gives away free pacemakers):
This little treasure was put out by the Family Research Council. It has all the ingredients needed to help make a woman willing to give up her child. They’ve done considerable research. It made me ill reading it. It made me ill thinking I’d sent my daughter to people who have long studied how to convince women to give away their children.
For financial information about this council, here is their 2011 FY Tax Return. They say they do not receive federal funding. They do, however, receive tax breaks for their “non-profit status”. They lobby and stand against many things in this country. I don’t believe the “Freedom” they say they stand for includes anyone who doesn’t see things their way. They would probably be very at home with fundamentalist “insert religion here”. They are regressive and damaging to society. I encourage you to go look up information about them. From their own website, they are strategically located on Capitol Hill. They have our lawmakers ear. They are speaking for you.
The pro-life lawmakers in the state I currently reside in are pushing for tax credits for the Pregnancy Resource Centers located here. This article explains more. I know I will be writing my Senators regarding this issue.
I want women to have truth in pregnancy counseling. I don’t want it skewed one way or another. I don’t want people profiting off of children, which seems to be a fringe benefit from getting a woman to give up her child when you are spouting pro-life propaganda. I want to stop people like this taking advantage of women and children like my daughter and granddaughter.